Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Kmart buying Sears to form third biggest U.S. retailer

ABC7Chicago.com: Kmart buying Sears to form third biggest U.S. retailer

This is quite surprising, considering that Kmart filed for bankruptcy a few years back. I heard that their stocks were up and they were doing better but not for retail sales. Kmart was actually profiting from real-estate sales. Kmart bought out Venture Stores (I know this very well, I use to work for Ventures and left a few months before the sale). When they bought the company they bought all the stores through out the country. They did open a few Kmart stores in the new locations, but after the bankruptcy incident they began selling all these vacant buildings. So now, the merge. The decision was unanimously agreed upon my all board members of both Sears & Kmart. I don't disagree with Sears wanting to merge, I'm just unsure if this is a smart move for the blue-light savings giant. Anyway, I just though this was interesting news.

No comments: