Saturday, October 16, 2004

My Kind of Town

It's a funny thing how movies can inspire you and remind you of what you should feel lucky about. That's why love them, each of them tell you a story. Each of them can take you to places you have never traveled too. I love them best when they take to places you have traveled to and bring you back those memories. They take you through some roads and sights that are familiar and are happy to see once more. I haven't traveled enough, but I enjoy thinking of the possibilities.

I just watched a movie that takes you through Paris. I was fortunate to have been there. Now I want to go back. I wonder though...

I have friends that left Paris, and now live here. As I saw the actress stroll through the bridge across Notre Dame, I felt like asking my friends.... How does it feel to come from one of the greatest cities on Earth? Then I thought, actually I just realized. I come from one of the greatest cities on Earth. Here I am idolizing other cities like Paris, New York and Rome and never included my own hometown. I dream of going back to these cities especially New York, God I love that city. BUT...I love Chicago. I have never appreciated Chicago though. A friend visited last month, from New Jersey. During her visit, while we crossed the streets of the Chicago loop, I told how I wished I had NY as close as she did. She reminded me though how Chicago was in her mind the best city. She has traveled a bit more, and lived in different places. She told me it took leaving this city to realize how much you can miss it. My response: I guess I have to move away to get that appreciation. Today for some reason, I get it. Don't get me wrong I still want to travel. I love traveling, but today I love Chicago more than I ever did.

No comments: