Monday, December 26, 2005

Music Industry Investigated Over Pricing

The music industry has made no secret of its desire to raise prices of legal music downloads, but the record labels have instead raised the ire of New York Attorney General Eliot Spitzer. Spitzer has subpoenaed the four major music companies as part of an investigation into collusion on the pricing of digital music. | source: Nate Mook, BetaNews
Thank goodness! As an avid music addict I hope prices don't go any higher. I think we've been swindled far too long, with those $16.99-$17.99 CDs for only 11 songs. This was the price of regular sale price CDs about a year ago. I have noticed that those prices are not as common, now regular prices in the ballpark of $13.99-$14.99. Now with services such as Napster, iTunes and rhapsody song downloads is more common. The average going rate per download is 0.99 cents per song. I am a user that must love the song extremely for me to download it. I still pay Napster for their music listening service. I enjoy listening to a full CD and determine if it's worth purchasing. I rather buy CDs at sale prices and have the artwork that comes with. I've also been yahoo LaunchCast member for years and the news that yahoo has entered the music download industry is of no surprise. I've used Napster, music match, AOL music, rhapsody paid services and prefer Napster. I don't think I'll subscribe to yahoo full version, even though the song rate is 0.79 cents per song. I do enjoy rating the different songs and customizing my own radio station on the yahoo free version. Napster has a function to build your own radio station based on the playlist you create. I will continue to pay my eight bucks to them for a while.

No comments: