Sunday, June 10, 2007

The Cicada Run-In

My encounter with a cicada was not how I expected. I think it was last week when I drove by a major avenue on the SW-side suburb of Countryside which edged a forest preserve. I rolled down the window a bit and was amazed to hear how loud the cicadas were. I took a turn into a smaller street and heard their distinct sound even more loudly. I contemplated pulling over and heading near the trees to get a good luck and perhaps getting a pic via my phone of these ugly looking creatures. I've seen a few pictures already and was tempted on snapping a few of my own. Had I not been running a few minutes late for meeting my friend for a movie I'm sure I would have ventured closer.

This weekend a cicada came to me - UNWANTED!! My sister and I decided to grab some breakfast at Bakers Square in La Grange this Saturday. Located minutes away from the same forest preserve I drove by weeks before, cicadas were nearby as well. I even recall mentioning to my sister to pause a bit to listen how loudly they were. She acknowledge and we headed indoors. The waiter showed us to our table and I thought I heard what sounded like a chirp. I sat down and heard it again, the waiter was leaving, when it sounded again and I asked what that noise was, as it seemed to be coming from a nearby plant directly behind my booth. The waiter shook the basket planter, to my plead not to drop what ever it was on me since I was still sitting below. We heard it again and this time is sounded as if it was sitting next to me. I quickly stood up and looked for it. The thing chirped again, this time the sound came from ME!!!!!!

"Oh my goodness oh my goodness, get it off of me, please get it off" I quietly pleaded with my sister and waiter. They couldn't' see it and I did not want to move an inch. Frankly I didn't want to see it. My sister thought it could be in my shirt hood, and suggested I go into the bathroom and see if I could get it out. I saw a few people just stare at me, but I wanted merely to be free of the bug, who's chirp I now heard near my ear.

Sure enough I went into the bathroom stall, flickered off my shirt trying so desperately not to come in contact with it. EEEEEEEeek!!! There it now was on the bathroom floor. I had brought in the cicada. I let the waiter take it out. I saw the look of many other clients and waitstaff just looking to see my reaction. my sister told me how amazed they were that I took it so well. My sister said she would have been screaming and causing much more of a scene. It was creepy, but I can admit - I think it was pretty damn funny.

1 comment:

V said...

I can't believe you were in San Jose about the same time we were. We drove through it, with a quick stop on May 30th! Of all the places...

When will you move into your new house? We haven't had any luck in our househunting yet...