Saturday, January 29, 2005

No Gates in My Yard

I walked out into the cold night and felt the temperature hit my face like stinging bees. It was as if the actual coldness stuck to my skin and would not let go. Tiny little bites trying to seep into my pores. The bare skin of my exposed face became firm and tense as the weather grab hold with such intensity that I felt my cheeks stiffen. I took hold of my scarf that was tucked in my jacket and pulled it up, so only my eyes were left uncovered. They were in pain from the frigid air as well. This was evident since they were now crying. I took a few more steps at a slower pace, because the faster I stepped the stronger the wind felt. The wind was even more cruel than the static air.

"Come On" I snapped at him. I tugged on Charlie's leash for him to hurry up. I know he was cold as well and was just looking for a clear spot to relieve himself in. These are the times I hate the most. I was glad he didn't take long and we scurried back inside. People tell me, that's why they don't have dogs. You know what, it's still worth it. Those five minutes of cold agony are nothing compared to the many years of loyal company and adoration for pet and owner.

1 comment:

Julie Kertesz - me - moi - jk said...

I like a lot your description of the cold hitting you. And generally your site too. Very good writing, pictures and textes that speak.