Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Sleep Therapy

The behavioral strategies for better sleep are deceptively simple, ... This means not watching television, eating or reading in bed. Don’t go to bed until you are sleepy. Get up at the same time every day, and don’t nap during the day. If you are unable to sleep, get out of bed after 15 minutes and do something relaxing, but avoid stimulating activity and thoughts.
So-called sleep hygiene is also part of sleep therapy. This includes regular exercise, adding light-proof blinds to your bedroom to keep it dark and making sure the bed and room temperatures are comfortable. Eat regular meals, don’t go to bed hungry and limit beverages, particularly alcohol and caffeinated drinks, around bedtime. Finally, don’t try too hard to fall asleep, and turn the clock around so you can’t see it. Watching time pass is one of the worst things to do when you’re trying to fall asleep. | source: New York Times
How does one address a fundamental difference in the want for sleep? I know my body and mind requires sleep. Heck, I am at the age now that I painfully feel it every morning. I am no longer able to feel great after sleeping my daily five hours of sleep. I know that what can help me the most is forcing myself to adhere to a schedule, including a sleep schedule. Easier said than done. After so many years of taking advantage of time and being more productive instead of sleeping my mind is stuck with the non-sleep routine. In a few days I actually have to attend a sleep study, I have been procrastinating on making an appointment mainly because I feel I know what they will say. I need to change my sleep habits - UGH I hate aging! I wish I were in my early twenties when pulling all nighters was no problem at all.

No comments: