Monday, September 19, 2005

The Life and Times of Frida Kahlo

I watched this documentary on PBS today - Again. I am drawn to the life of this great Mexican artist. I know that this is partially due to my own Mexican roots, however her willingness to live life through many hardships amazes me. I know such is the case with many unknown individuals, though her life and artwork always captivates me.


Tree of Hope Stand Firm
They say a picture is worth a thousand words, the paintings from this strong woman give great insight to her deep heartaches and physical pains.

I've watched this documentary twice, I saw the Salma Hajek interpretation twice also, and I have a few books showcasing her paintings. I was thrilled when a few of her paintings were showcased at the Mexican Cultural Museum a couple of years back. I can't describe the feeling when you see an image you've seen on paper many times finally in real life up close and in rich vivid color.
If you have time I suggest your watch
The Life and Times of Frida Kahlo on PBS

No comments: