Monday, April 04, 2011

The Gift of Music

Have you given the gift of music to a young child in your family or circle of friends yet? Kids can appreciate music more than you think. I remember very clearly getting my very own record single (45 rpm record - dating myself here) when I was four and it made me very happy. I then received a kiddy piano when I was five. I firmly believe these early gifts are the reason why I am an avid fan music and why it makes me SO incredibly happy.

Curious to know which record I received? Boogie Oogie Oogie, by A Taste of Honey. Granted Disco has not been esteemed as great music in history but this is probably why most of my favored songs on constant iPod rotation are dance songs. My love of music and genres thankfully expanded since then but I hold a very fond memory for this particular song because of the fact that is was my very own.


Who gives records today? I know that is probably what you are thinking. Honestly, I don't purchase CDs as often as I use to either unless I really want the cover art or there is a great sale. The principle is the same though spend the time with a child and enjoy music together.


When one of my nephew was three/four he would visit me and I remember playing songs and dancing/jumping on the bed with him a bit as well. Hey 'm an auntie I can break the rules a bit! He is now nine and he also remembers screaming Kelly Clarkson's "Since You've Been Gone" at the top of his lungs. Probably not the best song either, don't judge me. Note he also likes some Rolling Stones courtesy of my wide varied collection. I can only hope he also expands his taste across genres. His little brother who is four now actually favors "Hit The Road Jack" by Ray Charles and "Fireflies" by Owl City, so I think we'll be OK.


- My two cents for today.

No comments: